How To Use The Magic of Thinking BIG in Life’s Most Crucial Situations
There is magic in thinking big. But it is so easy to forget. When you hit some rough spots, there is danger that your thinking will shrink in size. And when it does, you lose.
Below are some brief guides for staying big when you’re tempted to use the small approach.
Perhaps you’ll want to put these guides on small cards for even handier reference.
When Little People Try to Drive You Down, THINK BIG
To be sure, there are some people who want you to lose, to experience misfortune, to be reprimanded. But these people can’t hurt you if you’ll remember three things:
1. You win when you refuse to fight petty people. Fighting little people reduces you to their size. Stay big.
2. Expect to be sniped at. It’s proof you’re growing.
3. Remind yourself that snipers are psychologically sick. Be Big. Feel sorry for them.
Think Big Enough to be immune to the attacks of petty people.
When That I-Haven’t-Got-What-It-Takes” Feeling Creeps Up on You, THINK BIG
Remember: if you think you are weak, you are. If you think you’re inadequate, you are. If you think you’re second-class, you are.
Whip that natural tendency to sell yourself short with these tools:
1. Look important. It helps you think important. How you look on the outside has a lot to do with how you feel on the inside.
2. Concentrate on your assets. Build sell-yourself-to-yourself commercial and use it. Learn to supercharge yourself. Know your positive self.
4. Put other people in proper perspective. The other person is just another human being, so why be afraid of him?
Think Big Enough to see how good you really are!
When an Argument or Quarrel Seems Inevitable, THINK BIG.
Successfully resist the temptation to argue and quarrel by:
1. Asking yourself, “Honestly now, is this thing really important enough to argue about?”
2. Reminding yourself, you never gain anything from an argument, but you always lose something.
Think Big Enough to see that quarrels, arguments, feuds, and fusses will never help you get where you want to go.
When You Feel Defeated, THINK BIG.
It is not possible to achieve large success without hardships and setbacks. But it is possible to live the rest of your life without defeat. Big thinkers react to setbacks this way:
1. Regard the setback as a lesson. Learn from it. Research it. Use it to propel you forward. Salvage something from every setback.
2. Blend persistence with experimentation. Back off and start afresh with a new approach.
Think Big Enough to see that defeat is a state of mind, nothing more.
When Romance Starts to Slip, THINK BIG
Negative, petty “She’s-(He’s)-unfair-to-me-so-ll-get-even” type of thinking slaughters romance, destroys the affection that can be vours.
Do this when things aren’t going right in the love department:
1. Concentrate on the biggest qualities in the person you want to love you. Put little things where they belong — in second place.
2. Do something special for your mate — and do it often.
Think Big Enough to find the secret to marital joys.
When You Feel Your Progress on the Job Is Slowing Down, THINK BIG
No matter what you do and regardless of your occupation, higher status, higher pay come from one thing: increasing the quality and quantity of your output. Do this:
Think, “I can do better.” The best is not unattainable. There is room for doing everything better. Nothing in this world is being done as well as it could be. And when you think, “I can do better,” ways to do better will appear. Thinking “I can do better switches on your creative power.
In the words of Publilius Syrus:
A wise man will be master of his mind,
A fool will be its slave.